My Beauty Trainer
Just when I thought I knew a good amount about the makeup/cosmetics world, I met Merita (aka “My Beauty Trainer” to the Instagram world). I met her about 6 to 7 years ago and could talk to her al DAY about makeup. This girl knows her stuff! If someone had a PhD in Cosmetics, she would def have about 6 degrees. She’s so knowledgeable about products, consistencies, when to splurge, when to save, trends, and quality of makeup. Her makeup vanity is to DIE for and she is just in love with the make-up world. Luckily for us, she has an awesome business where she gives make up lessons (both private and in groups....before COVID times) and now has shifted to a virtual lesson. She will help you go through your existing makeup and routine, help you add new products according to her expertise and will ALSO help you learn how to apply it! Even if you are decent at makeup, its always a good idea to get a little help from a Pro. I asked her so many questions about makeup that I get asked from my clients all the time. Below is her genius answers......
I GET ASKED THIS SO MUCH....IN YOUR OPINION, WHAT'S THE BEST MASCARA?Mascara is very hard because people have different textures, lengths and thickness in regards to their eyelashes. But, there are a few mascaras on the market that I believe are a bit more universal for most people's needs. The best mascara I have used on myself and recommend to others if the Too Faced Better than Sex mini mascara. Mini mascaras are one of my favorite tricks for makeup for many reasons. First reason is that the smaller wand allows you to really get into the root of your lashes, really allowing for optimal fullness and length. Because the actual wand is shorter you will have a better grip on the mascara. Second reason is you will replace your mascara quicker for hygienic purposes. Many times we don’t replace our makeup often enough and mascara is something that should be replaced every 6 months. So, with the mini option you will definitely help with that.BEST/FAVORITE FOUNDATION TO SPLURGE ON?
Dior Airflash Spray Foundation! This foundation has a radiant finish but offers full coverage with a lightweight consistency. This product can be used on dry skin, combo skin & oily skin, it's so versatile. Full coverage foundation looks great but sometimes feels very heavy, but with the texture of this foundation since it is a spray, you barely even feel it! I apply this with a flat foundation brush or a sponge.WHAT CONCEALER ACTUALLY COVERS UNDEREYE CIRCLES?A color corrector, so not even a concealer. I personally suffer from really dark undereye circles, so I use the Becca Undereye Brightening Corrector on the inner corner of my eye where I have the most darkness. This product is very slippery and wet so less is more with it. I like to take a small eyeshadow brush to blend out that brightener. Once you have brightened that area, you can use any concealer over it.CREAM OR POWDER BLUSH?Cream blush!! It leaves such a beautiful finish but looks so natural on the skin. Sometimes you can blend out cream blush so well that it looks like a natural flush on the skin. Talk about a no makeup makeup look.A LIP PLUMPER THAT ACTUALLY WORKS?Years ago I stumbled upon Dr. Kay who is a plastic surgeon in California. She has her own products that she sells and one of them being the best lip plumper I have ever used, it's the KD High Volume Lip Plumping Amplifier. This plump lasts on your lips for about 2 hours, but can continuously be applied throughout the day. It doesn't burn as much as other lip plumpers on the market but it has a bit of a tingle to it. Apply your favorite lip liner and then apply this over it for a perfect looking lip.TOP 3 BEST "NON-ORANGE" BRONZERS?
- Maybeline City Lights bronzers, only downside is the shade range, they only offer three bronzers
- Benefit Hoola bronzer collection ranging from lite to toasted.
- Gucci Poudre De Beauté Éclat Soleil Bronzing Powder, this is a new product but absolutely amazing!WHAT "CLEAN BEAUTY LINES" ARE AMAZING?My favorite clean beauty line I have tried so far is ILIA, I feel they have the best complexion products on the market compared to others.UPCOMING MAKEUP TREND FOR SPRING?Natural makeup with a hint of extra, like a bold but diffused lip color. Also a diffused cat eye, basically blending out that felt tip liner right after applying for a softer, more wearable look.ARE PRIMERS & SETTING SPRAY WORTH THE HYPE? IF SO, WHAT ONES ARE BEST?I think primers are effective but if used in moderation, I think a lot of people use too much product to prime their face which causes their makeup to not apply like they wanted. Makeup forever has the best primers because they are more skincare driven. As for setting sprays, this is a product I can't live without! Setting sprays can offer that finishing layer without adding more product to your face. Mac's "Fix plus" is an OG spray that lifts off that diffuses any extra product on your face and refreshes the skin. Milani "make it last" setting spray will allow for your makeup to stay on all day. If you're looking for a product to give you some added glow or are more on the dry side, try Pixi "Glow Mist".ANY DRUG STORE MAKEUP PRODUCTS THAT ARE INCREDIBLE?
- ELF complexion brushes are so nice and affordable.
- Flower beauty skin serum is lightweight and easy to use.
- Maybelline Lifter Gloss in every color is the best lip gloss
- Milani Keep It Full Nourishing Lip Plumper lip gloss, great color range and has a nice plumping effect.
- Rimmel lip liners
- NYX Lip linersI guess the trend here is all of my lip products are from the drugstore, they're truly some of my favorite products ever.BEST TOOL TO APPLY CONCEALER?Any tool but I have a specific technique for the most flawless concealer application. Apply your concealer and let it sit on your face to 1-2 minutes to dry up a bit and then blend out with a damp beauty sponge or a brush. This technique allows for the concealer to set a bit so you don't need to use as much product and less powder to set!IF YOU'RE SOMEONE THAT IS NOT SKILLED AT MAKEUP AND YOUR JUST GETTING STARTED, WHAT'S THE 3 PRODUCTS THEY SHOULD START WITH?A concealer, brow product and blush! The concealer will help you spot conceal any areas you want to cover, the brow product will give your face a polished but structured look and the blush will add a nice pop of color.HOW DO YOU CLEAN YOUR BRUSHES/MAKEUP SPONGES?I clean them once a week with soap from Ecotools and warm water. I will wet the brush a bit, apply a small drop of brush soap and lather the brush in the palm of my hand until the soap runs without any makeup. Run it under the water until all the soap is gone and squeeze all the water out. Lay those brushes flat on a towel and dry for 12-24 hours depending on the size of the brush. I also like to take an antibacterial wipe and wipe the handles of the brushes because that also has a lot of bacteria on it. As for makeup sponges, I wash them every single time I use them. So after I am done with the sponge I will go wash it with some antibacterial soap and run it under water until all the product is out. Let that dry on a paper towel so it doesn't soak up any bacteria from a towel. This way whenever you need to use it next, it's already clean and all you have to do is wet it.HOW CAN YOU MAKE YOUR SKIN LOOK AS FLAWLESS AS POSSIBLE?This may sound redundant because a lot of people say it, but less is more. If I want my makeup to look flawless and last all day, I will spend a lot of time blending each product over and over to make sure it doesn't look or feel heavy. When your makeup is blended, it feels lightweight and it doesn't feel heavy. There is nothing worse than feeling like you have too much makeup on your face and constantly checking it all day to make sure it's ok. I would rather spend my time making sure that my skin and complexion looks flawless then even doing eye makeup. Sometimes we think that applying more will make our makeup look better, but it doesn't. Applying less but blending things out a bit longer will always give you that flawless complexion. Many times when I do my makeup I am constantly going back to touch up areas. For example, If I use a foundation brush I will only use it for foundation this way if I apply too much bronzer or blush I can go back in and clean it up with some remaining product on the foundation brush.
Interested in learning more for yourself?? My Beauty Trainer has been generous enough to my subscribers to offer FREE 15 minute virtual consultations! To schedule something with Merita, please contact her directly at 914-384-9924.